Brown sugar on pork give these luscious skewers their tasty crunch. The fish sauce, now more widely available in shops, is definitely essential to achieve that Vietnamese flavour. The marinade should be enough for up to four steaks.
Ingredients (Serves: 2)
2 pork loin steaks
2 shallots roughly chopped
3 tsp dark brown sugar
1/2 tsp dried chilli flakes
3 tbsp fish sauce
2 tbsp cooking oil
Prep:4hr › Cook:10min › Ready in:4hr10min
- Put shallots, brown sugar, chilli and fish sauce in a food processor and blend until it makes a paste. Stir in the oil.
- Cut pork loin steaks across the grain into 7 cm long strips about 2.5 cm wide.
- Mix pork pieces and the paste in a medium bowl with your hands, rubbing in the marinade. Cover and refrigerate for between 4 to 24 hours.
- Thread pork on skewers and barbecue until cooked, rotating skewers for approximately 5-10 minutes or until cooked through.
- Serve in a baguette with pickled veg for Vietnamese sandwiches (banh mi) or on top of rice noodles and mixed salad with nuoc cham as a dressing.